Labour Day 2021 is COMING SOON to a Drive-In Theatre NEAR YOU!
Last minute updates (see below for basic information)...
Just a few updates for the Labour Day Tailgate...
- Only ONE vehicle is allowed in between the pole markers at the drive-in. During non-pandemic times, they squeeze in two.
- The snack bar will be open but, due to COVID, will only take debit, credit cards, or pre-arranged coupons. Please NO CASH!
- Enter the snack bar at the North End and exit at the South End.
- You must be masked to enter the snack bar!
- We will have a few speeches starting at 12:15 p.m.. We will have a speaker playing the speeches live near the snack bar, but everyone will be able to listen to the them on the Starlite's Screen ONE FM frequency. Make sure you check the frequency when you come in. It's posted around the venue.
- Drive-in washrooms will be open.
- General announcements will also be made over the FM frequency.
- We will have a Labour Council tent set up near the snack bar. If there are any questions during the event, please pop by.
AND an added Caravan Update...
- If we exceed the parking in the lower parking lot of City Hall, we have confirmed access to the upper parking lot behind City Hall for overflow. If we really exceed our numbers, a second over flow lot will be the lot behind Central Public School (across the street from the back of City Hall).
- WE WILL HAVE A CHARTERED HSR BUS from the City Hall to the Drive-In. It will leave City Hall at the end of the Caravan and return to City Hall for 2 p.m.. If you are coming on the bus, it is advisable to bring a folding lawn chair as there is limited seating outside of vehicles at the drive-in.
The following will happen:
CARAVAN: The route will follow the same path we established last year, from City Hall down Main Street, continuing into the East End where Main becomes Queenston and turning right on Centennial Parkway up the mountain.
We will have an articulated bus for those who do not have vehicles. Last year the bus joined the caravan at City Hall at 10:30 a.m. and returned at 2 p.m.. Hopefully, this year we will be able to do more ride sharing should social distancing parameters permit. If you do not have your own vehicle and would like to ride the bus up to Drive-In, just show up Labour Day morning. If you are able to bring a folding chair with you, you will have somewhere to sit outside at the Drive-In.
You do NOT have to pre-book a space in the caravan. We will park first come/first serve in the City Hall lower then upper parking lots. If those spots fill up, we will have marshals redirecting people to nearby staging areas.
We have had groups ask if they can haul a trailer with signage or a display of some sort. If your vehicle is street legal on any day of the week, it's good for the caravan. We will be following the rules of the road which means stopping for red lights and other traffic. We will be going about 15-20km/h on our route. Once we turn south onto Centennial Pkwy., we encourage people to follow the regular speed of traffic so we don't bunch up at the left turn onto Green Mountain Rd..
ALL ALLIES, FRIENDS OF LABOUR, AND COALITION PARTNERS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN!
TAILGATE: Last year we had a tailgate party from 11:30-2:00pm at the Starlite Drive-In. Our venue will be the same as it allows for cars on-site and is flexible with our ability to self-regulate group sizes. Also, any public site won't take bookings during the pandemic, so we have to use a privately-owned site.
FOOD and DRINKS: The Starlite Drive-In Concession Stand will be OPEN! Their online food menu is HERE. We cannot guarantee everything on there will be available.
NOTE: The Star-lite has agreed to contribute 15% of profits from all concessions to the United Way Halton/Hamilton. During a normal year, we use the Labour Day BBQ as a United Way fundraiser.
If you want to bring your own pre-prepared food, you certainly can. We strongly discourage people from cooking on site. We are not permitted for this! If you would like to arrange any bulk food purchases for your local in advance, please email me and I'll try to connect you with the management at the drive-in.
LIVE ENTERTAINMENT: We have a live brass band that will be walking around the drive-in during the event playing Mardi Gras Style, upbeat music.
We will have some speeches and greetings at around noon, but (for the most part) the idea of the tailgate will be to have fun!
If you have any questions, please feel free get in touch with me at [email protected]